Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"Thirty-Seven Small Songs and Thirteen Silences" by Jan Zwicky


Unfortunately I still have not been able to buy Jan Zwicky's collection of poetry Thirty-Seven Small Songs and Thirteen Silences because it is not available at the book store and I am unable to order it from the website they told us about in class. It is too bad because I was really looking forward to reading her book, as her reading in class was so interesting and original. Her views on poetry, art, beauty, music, and philosophy were really inspiring. I have, however, been able to read some excerpts from her poems online. Chris Cornish, our TA, actually featured the following in his contribution to YFile:

What are you thinking, little violin?
What do your clear strings dream?
Brown rivers have gold depths. The sprightly
softness in the current of the bow.

What are you singing, my little violin?
Who are you calling now? Truths
the trees, my parents, taught me.
The sky above your childhood home.

fromSmall Song”
by Jan Zwicky

Simply from reading that small excerpt I know that I would really enjoy her poetry, as it is fluid and full of compelling imagery. In just two short stanzas, her diction transports me to another dreamy, softly lit world that makes me look forward to spring...even though it is only October and we still have a full winter ahead. Sigh. Hopefully I will be able to purchase Jan Zwicky's book before the year is up, but for now I will just have to settle for what I can find online. One of those finds is the YouTube link I am adding below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRLfvxqnlhg

Although I do not completely understand the ideas she is presenting in this talk, I can certainly understand that Zwicky has a very interesting take on poetry and philosophy and is contributing many new ideas to Canada's art and poetry scene.