Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Late Nights on Air" by Elizabeth Hay

The funny thing about reading Elizabeth Hay's Late Nights on Air is that it was my idea of the traditional Canadian novel before I started this course. Although every character has something interesting about them that makes them different and makes the radio station a mixture of unique personalities, they are all Caucasian Canadian. I had gotten so used to books that told the stories that hadn't been told before, the stories that were about the traditional 'other' Canadian, that reading this book was unfortunately very hard for me to get into. I started to approach it differently, however, after Gail presented the video of The Sweater. It reminded me that although they are more traditional, these stories of Canadian life must also be told through our art and literature. Although this country is now more multicultural than ever, these long-established Canadian ideals are also important and are now a part of the distinctive blend of stories that this country has to present.

I suppose I was discriminating it against it for its lack of including other cultures in its main characters, but I was missing the unique brand of Northern Canadian culture that it did present. This was an idea that I was more open to after Hay's visit as well. Her soft-spoken manner drew me into the narrative as she was reading and I began to reconsider my initial impression. Just like the voice of Dido drew Harry into the radio station, Hay's discussion drew me into the book whose themes and setting I was not accustomed to reading about. She talked about her own stay in Yellowknife and how the town itself inspired her and plays a central role in the narrative. This is similar to other books in the course, such as Barnacle Love, The Chinese Knot and Natasha, in which Toronto plays a central figure that all the plot lines intertwine around. I learned that the beauty of Hay's novel lies in its exposure of a city that is not as prevalent in Canadian culture, Yellowknife, a medium that is almost forgotten, radio, characters that are atypical, and her unconventional focus on a group of characters rather than a clear protagonist. I'm glad that I now see what is so special about Hay's highly acclaimed work, so I can maybe give it another chance before the exam. As is often true of first impressions, mine were misleading and did not allow me to appreciate the beauty of Late Nights on Air.